Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti G35: i am trying to replace the sending units in

Customer Question

hi i am trying to replace the sending units in my 2003 infiniti g35 coupe, could you help me out with some instruction on doing so. Can I do this without dropping my tank?
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! Are you replacing both sending units? Yes, you don't need to drop the fuel tank. There is access panels under the back seat lower cushion. Let me know if your doing 1 or both senders. Also let me know if you have new o-rings for the senders as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am looking to replace both sending units I bought the car a few days ago and noticed the fuel gauge was not accurate. to would constantly fluctuate. Mechanic wants 650 bucks..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found the OEM parts online, one for the left side and one for the driver side.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Yes, ... ok.. Make sure you get new o-rings for those senders as well. To replace them, the lower seat chusion for the back seat is removed and you will see two access panels. You have philp head screw type knobs to turn to release the access panel to see the top of the fuel senders. You have the one main feed line on the passenger side, which you need to pinch pull the line. There is a plastic lock inside the line that you pinch the outside of it to release it. Make sure you cover it with a rag cause if it has pressure, it will spray every where. What you may want to do is unplug the fuel pump and start the car to release the pressure. Once you have done that and you have the line and plug removed for that one sender on the passenger side, you have 8 mm bolts holding the sender lock down. After you remove the 8 mm bolts the sender can be lifted out. But!!! You have a cross over hose that has to be removed as well from the primary sender. That if I remember right is another pinch pull hose. That hose is the trickest cause you can't pull the sender out to far, which makes it kinda tricky to get that line off. But once you do, then you are home free. The rest is easy. Whip down where the o-rings seat. Replace o-rings, Slip the new sender in and plug it cross over hose. Press down sender and put lock ring on. Plug in fuel line and electrical connector. That is it for passenger side. Same thing for drivers side sender, but that is a secondary sender. There is only the top plug to that sender. There is no cross over hose. It's easy.If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay so this really isn't that difficult of a process then? From what I've told you should this fix my problem? And theres no need for me to buy a whole new fuel pump is there? I can just buy this http://www.partsgeek.com/rm3ryyz-infiniti-g35-fuel-level-sending-unit.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=pf&utm_content=wc&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+ShopZilla&fp=pp&utm_term=Infiniti+Fuel+Level+Sending+Unit for the driver side?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And where would I buy the O-rings at? Napa or AutoZone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Passenger Side*
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also how do you remove back seat
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can get those o-rings from a auto parts store.
To remove the lower seat cushion, if there is no little pull tab on the right and left lip of the lower seat, the just pull up on it to release it. I sure it's on You tube. Do you want me to find you a video?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you could that would be great
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
me a few I'm on my way home from work
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCy98COo_Vg
That video may help with removing the sender assembly. I don't know what year this G is that he is working on. Don't worry about the fuel pump part.
Just look at the hose that he takes off when you removes the fuel sender and see if it looks like yours.
Is this a Sedan or Coupe?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mine is a coupe. That's why I asked if I would need to drop the fuel tank.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And is it ok to buy the fuel sending unit without the fuel pump and just attatch it to the old one?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
for the coupe, you just pull the seat up. What I would recommend, since you have to remove the assembly, it's best to replace the assembly. Nothing would stink more than to do all that work only to have the fuel pump go later down the road. Once again, the tank does not need to be removed. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this a common problem with my year?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
For fuel level sensors not to read right on the gauge.. Yes. 03 to 06 they were fairly common. In some cases the whole cluster would need to be replaced as well. Thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any more questions on this?