Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

Jay, I have a 2000 Infiniti Qx4 bought recently. 118k miles.

Customer Question
Hi Jay, I have a...
Hi Jay, I have a 2000 Infiniti Qx4 bought recently. 118k miles. Engine very clean, someone took care of this vehicle. After a week, all my display gauges went dead. After a few miles, they turned back on again. On a long trip, they liked to turn off again after stopping, but turned on within a few to 20 miles or so. It's unnerving driving a new used car and not be able to see temperature or RPMs while climbing mountains (paved hwys not offroad). I imagine it's a short. I have since only driven locally in my small town and I have the speedometer, odometer, tachometer, fuel gauges go completely dead, but only occasionally. They usually turn right back on after a couple of minutes.
Any ideas? I don't want to drive the car outside my area for fear of losing the gauges completely. I'm also afraid a mechanic could take many hours to pinpoint the problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Infiniti
6/21/2015
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!This type of problem is not a common problem and could require hands on diagnostics. Do you have a Volt Meter? Does it act up more at night verses day? Let me know..
Thanks for the quick reply.It happens night and day. I had a new battery put in before I drove the car home to Colorado from Texas. Originally, I suspected the gauges went out because I was on a long trip and maybe there was some overheating going on in the wiring, but I have a short 4 mile commute to work and I will lose them occasionally on these short drives too. They gauges work 99% of the time, but I'm afraid one day they will turn off permanently.I do not have a volt meter, but I may be able to borrow one. The closest auto parts store is 20 miles away, but they might also let me borrow one.
The reason I wanted to see if you had a volt meter is cause if the Alternator is not charging properly the gauges can cut out like you have been experiencing. Plus you did have to put a new battery in as well which could support my thoughts. Do you know anyone who lives by you that has a volt meter?
The old battery was not dead, it was a preemptive move. But before I left Texas, I also had the alternator belt changed. It was squeaking loud so I had to get it tightened when I returned home. The squeak went away. Now I wonder if the belt change affected the alternator somehow.I will ask around about a volt meter, but it might be a while because I'll be working a lot. Am I just checking to see if the battery is weaker than it should be?
If the belt is to tight, it can damage the alternator. Give me a shout when you have one. Also pay attention to see if it happens more at night. When you are driving at night, that is when you are using the most loads on the charging system.
Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician