Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Infiniti G35: Problem with my g35 tps signal reset not wor…

Customer Question
Problem with my g35 tps...
Problem with my g35 tps signal reset not working.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Infiniti
6/7/2015
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
Throttle Position Sensor? or Tire Pressure Sensor?
Please give me a little more detail please.
Thanks Jay!
throttle position sensor. i had this code for months w no drivability issues. this week it stopped and will not build RPM over about 2k. have done ecu resetting and it will not ever clear CEL. done it correctly at least 20 times. get through the complete sequence only to find the light never clears at the end. w/o this done first i am not able to perform the throttle relearn. beginning to think mayb my IDPM is bad. anyway to test it?
What is the exact code your getting please?
po1023 and 1564 i believe? car is now draining battery so it is charging at moment. codes were the steering control one and throttlesensor. thats the only two codes its ever thrown
1564 and 2135
Is this a coupe or sedan?
sedan 6mt
Thank you.
The P2135 is for the TP sensor which is part of the Electronic Throttle chamber asssembly. A calibration will not clear this code. Replacing the Throttle Chamber Assembly and performing the idle relearn.
The other code P1564 is for the steering wheel switches. The switches on the steering wheel will need to be replaced or Spiral cable to correct that problem.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
i just put a new throttle body on 2 days ago. still cant reset the ecu via manual modenkbvb
Did you get the throttle body from a auto parts store?
Does this code clear? or is this a different code since being replaced?
same two codes and car still doesnot build rpm. ( drive)
Well I am not expecting the P1564 to be corrected by the Throttle chamber.
How are you clearing codes?
im fully aware of this. one prob at a time. i was also assuming that both issues could be because the TPS. since cruise, accel, decel (steering switch) are also run through TPS
Until you resolve the TP code, you won't know for sure.
How did you attempt to clear that code? Also, where did you buy the throttle chamber?
brand new part. sealed box. cant clear the ecu to relearn the throttle pos sensor. this was in my very first question. we have made zero progress.
i have an actron simple scan tool for checking and clearing code only.
I have been asking where did you buy the throttle chamber and you still have not told me.
Just now you finally told me you have a code reader to read and clear codes.
If you got this throttle chamber from a auto parts store, this is most likely part of the problem. After Market electrical parts never work right on these cars.
I know that is not the answer you want to hear, and it's something I run into allot with people. These cars are just to sensitive for after market electrical parts and that is why they never work right. I have taken off plenty of brand new electrical parts, including throttle chambers and replaced them with OEM parts to resolve issues.
Your welcome to take the part back and exchange it and tell them it's defective, but if that doesn't work, a dealer throttle chamber will be required.
Let me know if you have any more questions on this.
Thanks Jay!
its an OE nissan TB. that has been reman. they have just milled off the nissan stamp. you still havent answered a few of MY questions either! id rather test items before buying them. is this what the dealers do? just throw psrts at it until the prob goes away? in all my previous cars there have been procedures for testing these items. for instance i found a blown relay (tps relay) in the ipdm. replaced it and TB and car started and acted normal (revd above 4k) then light came on immediately and back to square one.
also, why does nissan not sale these individual relays. they inly sell the whole ipdm. ive noticed that these are a commin problem too. is there pwr or continuity i can check to and from the throttle body perhaps. a pdf of tech manual would be the best help for me i think.
I have worked on these cars for over 20 years. 99% of the time if you have a TP code, it's a throttle chamber.
It is and isn't a Nissan Throttle chamber. They used the OEM housing and replaced all the guts of it with after market electrical parts. They have to grind off the Nissan Logo since they did not use Nissan Parts inside of it and it's copy righted.
It's not going to be a IPDM or a Relay. It's a internal issue with the Throttle chamber.
We can go back and forth about this, and I can tell your getting frustrated and you feel that I am not being helpful, but I am trying to give you the information needed to resolve your issue! If you don't want to follow these steps, you will keep fighting me and your issue with no resolution. I have no problem sharing any diagnostic steps with you for the TP code. Would you like that information?
The IPDM is a Control unit. The Relays are not meant to be tampered with. That is why it's sold only as a assembly.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Pages%20from%20ec-2.pdf
That is the complete diagnostic chapter for the TP code your getting.
Thanks Jay!
not at all Jay! you are correct about the new aftermarket stuff. im no dummy, current mech engineer and build turbochargers for living. cars are easy its just the elec controlled stuff that gives you issues. Things are a bit more difficult when you dont have a $6k consult II supplying you with answers. i would just like test and confirm that the current tps i have is bad instead of hoping. does that make sense? is there procedure(s) for checking the TB is within parameters? i believe it is an input sensor correct?
Glad you understand where I am coming from. The info I supplied should help you test everything needed at the TP Sensor of the Throttle chamber.
Let me know if you have any more questions on this
Thanks Jay!
whats the easiest way to reset the ecu? is there more ways than the ign/gas pedal sequence?disconnect battery and pump brake?
To do a Idle Relearn you mean? or simply just do a hard reset?
well all the instructions i find online to relearn the TB say that you first need to clear the CEL before you can relearn TPS. is this true?
before setting any of them. idle relearn, accel pedal& throttle closed position
Yes. You can't do a idle relearn if you have hard codes.
Did you find anything with the info I provided
havnt been able to test anything yet cause my battery is still charging. lol. hard codes wont get erased if i "erase" with my scanner or disconnect the batt?
If you disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins, it will do a hard reset on the car. If the code returns after do this, it's a hard code which will require you to go through the data I provided.
As for battery draining issues, on these older G's, Seat Switches and Radios were the most common.
Thanks Jay!
ordered an oem throttle body. once its installed should i start engine or go right into the relearns?
You need to start the engine and get it to around 80 degree's or so to perform the idle relearn.
Thanks Jay!
but do not rev at all?? the last throttle chamber i put on worked for a bit (cel off) until i started revving it. then i shut off engine. when i restarted it was acting the same as old one and the CEL turned back on. thats the only instance where the light has turned off for me.
Yeah, just start it and let it run. You don't need to rev it.
Actually a Idea is to warm it up, then change it. Then let it run for about 5 mins or so then attempt the relearn with the new one.
also the instructions sayto perform throttle closed position and accel pedal depress relearn.
yes, you want to do that as well.
ok just installed OEM nissan/hitachi throttle chamber and im getting same results. unable to keep the CEL off long enough to perform idle air relearn. what now?
Try a Hard Reset by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 15 mins. Do this after the car is warmed up. So when you start it, you can perform the idle relearn.
Thanks Jay!
thats what i an trying now but the light seems to reset pretty darn quick. not sure if it will have time to get hot(just under half mark b/t hot and cold on temp gauge?)
Do you know what codes you have right now?
okay. got the idle relearned i think. i drove the car (still idles a tad high for a moment) but as soon as the 1124 code pops up(after turning car off) it will no longer drive. if i clear the 1124 code it will start and drive again. lol also got a po135 code once
so 1124 code is tb again. so mayb i didnt get relearn correct?
Since the throttle chamber is OEM from the dealer, then you will have to perform more diagnostics. May have a wiring issue, Ecm or IPDM problem.Here is the complete diagnostic chapter for this code to help you. This may require more advanced diagnostics.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1.pdfThanks Jay!
how can i perform the relearn if the engine light wont remain off long enough to reset the idle?? even my code reader isnt clearing the code long enough now. before it would take 4-5 key/ign cycles to come back on. now it returns withevery key turn? its not going to the dealer.
It sounds like something else may be your issue at this point. That is why I shared the diagnostic information.
Thanks Jay!
now when i start the car it started spraying ac freon out. sounds like mayb the ipdm since it also has control over most things like ac. hmm i remember asking about that im my first inquiry since the relay to the Throttle chamber was toast. you confidently said that "it is not IPDM"ive spent 1k dollars listening to you about nissan genuine partsand both parts say assembled in japan at hitachi. thats exactly why its not going to the dealer. you guys just throw parts at the cars (at customer expense) and use comp programs that nobody has access to until the prob goes away. ill be purchasing an ipdm and i bet my issue gets resolved.
You never told me that throttle relay was burnt in the IPDM or ever mentioned the IPDM had corrosion.
your right and im clearly beyond frustrated. apologies but im too far to take it in to dealer now. lol. and it had no visible corrosion but seemed to do some good. so im not sure what is up. ive now replaced IpDM and throttle chamber. tps sensor code has not returned but car still has a more DTCs and goes into limp mode often. id hate to buy more parts but theres so many frikkin problems with these cars its hard to know
idle relearn seem to take but goes up to 850rpm within a few min of running. i cleaned mass air sensor with elec parts cleaner. im now getting p1564 (steering switch)p0507 (high idle) and occasional p2138 (accel pedal pos sensor) lol it just never ends.
The P0507 means the idle relearn did not take.
The P2138 is a APP sensor code. How often would you say you loose throttle response?
Let me know..
any time car sits for more than mayb 30-45 min it is in limp mode when i start.
didnt hold? when i start it every morn it idlesdown to 750rpm after warming up. it will come out of limp mode as soon as i clear the high idle code. p1564 seens to stay on ECM most of the time. comes back VERY quickly.
so now im wondering about pedal switch? but why on earth would 2-3 items go bad within a couple
months. first was me cleaning TB and started slowly having issues. then the SET light started blinking every once in awhile. then went into limp mode shortly after. noticed TB relay froze then AC started doing weird things.
I am currently working. It's most likely not the pedal. Can we work on this later this evening? I am normally online around 6 or 7 pm EST and online till 10 or 11 pm.
Try this for me.. Locate the AC pressure sensor and unplug it. It's on the receiver dryer. Then let me know if it stops going into limp mode. I will talk to you later about your findings..
at front of car, behind grill? i will try just hope that is the one you r referring to.
Yes, it's up front..
pass side above pwer steering cooler? ill try to disconnect and drive a bit 2marro. when i unhook the plug my AC will not function i assume??
Yes, it won't, but we need to test this.The APP shares a 5 volt reference with the AC pressure Sensor and Evap Pressure Sensor. Since you mentioned the AC has been acting up, this could be why. So simply unplugging the Ac Pressure Sensor and driving the car, if it doesn't go into limp mode any more, that is your problem!
will do sir!
Talk to you soon
ok so i thought that might be it, until it went into limp mode again. it def took the car a lot longer to do(almost all day) but still same code (1564/507/ and now p0138
No P2138?
yes that took a sec to pop up then the p0138 code went away.
Ok.. Then lets unplug the Evap Pressure Sensor now. That is located on the evap canister.
pass rear behind wheel under car??just evap or both evap and ac sensor
Yes, it's in the back, passenger side rear.
Unplug the Evap Pressure Sensor, ( not the Vent Control valve ) and leave the AC pressure sensor unplugged and lets see if it still happens.
havent had a chance to remove the evap thing. should be able to 2marro. been driving it just to-from work but today it just revvs really high as soon as i start it. even when i clear the code.
ok.. Let me know..
ok. so two connectors on back of evap canister. both have hoses attached directly under them. im not sure which is valve and which is sensor??
The vent control valve is the one with the big hose, the evap pressure sensor has the smaller hose.
yrs, i found diagram online. ill drive 2nite and 2marro and get back to u
ok. Let me know...
nothin. still keeps goin into limp mode. not as im driving but when i get in the car each time i have torestart it. alreadyall lit up and in limp mode.
Is that with the Evap Pressure Sensor and AC Pressure Sensor unplugged?
yes sir.
Does the problem seem better, worse or same?
it seems bout same as having both plugged in. when i first unplugged the AC it went longest w/o limping. then seemed to be same as other times. when i first started getting the limp it was very seldom. mayb happened three times in a month until it syarted kicking the throttle code. since then its been pretty much same
Then you may need to try a App Sensor which is the Accelerator pedal and see if that helps. Other wise, advanced electrical will be required to isolate the short causing the 5 volt reference to fall under spec. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
would pedal sensor be bad if ive gotten the idle to relearn and goes thru that process fine? seem like i wouldnt be able to get to the end if the sensor for pedal was bad. or does it work differently?
before all thisstarted my horn seem to short or something. we had a good rain and drove thru some deep puddles and seem to short out or ruin my horn? now it only makes a weak honk. or mayb its just one of them working. any chance its related?
Did this start after you went through the water?
cant really recall if it ever went into limp mode before the high water. but my horn was funky (remote disarm honks) but it definately was giving me issues soon after.
Well this is all new information which would have been helpful earlier. That tells me you could have corrosion in the harness somewhere causing your issue. You are going to want to inspect connectors for any type of corrosion. If corrosion is found, the connector will need to be cleaned or replaced. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
all this happened inside of a few weeks so im still thinking about causes. online i think it shows that horn is someway elec connected to the spiral cable as well. and ipdm. am i seeing that correctly?
The horn goes down to the the harness out to the IPDM. Or the horn could have taken in water if you drove through the deep water. I spent a ton time with you on this. At this point you need to inspect harness for water intrusion and corrosion for your issue. Thanks Jay
check the harness where? at the horn connectors and follow back up to ipdm?
I would try a different horn to see if the operation changes. I would be checking the harness at the fuse box, BCM and all main connections that are low that water may have gotten in. Thanks Jay!
still have two more test to perform on ECU side for APP. then gonna check circuits on spiral cable as best i can. my AC just quit blowing cold all of a sudden tho. lol
They don't give you to many checks for the spiral cable since that powers the drivers air bag. You are most likely dealing with a harness issue. You will need to check all your lower Main Harnesses inside the car. Because you went through water, you now can have anything causing this. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks Jay!
im running out of places to check harness? never any evidence of water intrusion into my cabin. BCM and fuse box look fine. there was a T-tap on a 12v wire at bcm. i removed it and it is still carrying current fine. (cont test) car is still doing same stuff. any other reccommended locations to check??
this car is an 03 with 80,000 on clock and is orherwise in good condition. Zero aftermarket items so everything im seeing looks great
I have been trying to help you with this issue since the 7th of June. Then on the 20th of June, you tell me that the throttle relay was burnt in the IPDM.. New info that would have been helpful. Then the 7th of July you disclose that you went through deep water. Another thing that would have been valuable to know. I offered you additional service multiple times to help you on the phone, and you never accepted. Since that new information, the relay burning and going through deep water, you need to check the inside harness and engine bay harnesses for a short. That is what melted the relay. This is going to require advanced electrical diagnostics! When we started this question all you said was that the Tps singsl was not working. You gave me no history of your issue. This could have saved me and you a ton of time. It doesn't mater if it has after market equipment or not any more. The harness has issues and will require hands on diagnostics to isolate and repair the issue. Something that I can not help you with.
if your done trying to help me out just say that. no need to be [email protected] if u cant help a mech engineer w a multimeter and an advance knowledge of electrical current and circuitry then i dont know who you can help. ill figure it out and let you kno what and where it was. you can tell me you told me so and give urself a pat on the back. thanx
There is just so much info that would have been nice to know up front. That would have changed allot of things I recommended. I don't mean to come off as a D$#k but put yourself in my shoes. I have been spending over a month with you and I keep getting new info that is critical to your issue. Wouldn't that frustrate you? I offered to speak with you in person on this issue and you have never accepted that. That is the last thing I can offer you as far as assistance with this. If you don't want to use that, there is not much more I can offer to help you. Let me know..
i found my issue. any way you can send me pin locations for my ecu. im not getting A SES light anymore not even with ign on. red security light on dash illuminates and car will not even start. no link to OBD II port either.
I can give you the Ecm Terminal Reference Chart. That has all the Ecm pin arrangements and what they are for as well as the wire colors. Will that work for you?
please do. thank you
2003. G35 sedan 6mt
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/03G35SedanMTECMlayout.pdf Please don't forget to Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I can still assist you with this even after you rate me. Thanks Jay!
thanx again. off the top of your head, any certain wires/ circuit that would cause SES not to illuminate/obd port to not communicate? im figuring that is also why it will not start. im close, found lots of corrosion on harness cleaned it all pretty good but looks like im gonna have to check each item as i go. obviously would like to get obd sorted and car to start.
Normally if the SES light doesn't come on, it's due to a Bad Ecm. Since you found corrosion, that could have allowed voltage to go into another circuit and short out the Ecm. So you may be looking at a Ecm issue now. That certainly will keep it from starting. You will also need to reprogram keys if it needs to be replaced as well as a Idle Relearn. Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician