Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I got caught in a flood and some water got sucked up into the…

Customer Question
I got caught in a...
I got caught in a flood and some water got sucked up into the intake. The car died, people helped push me out of the water (which I was stuck in for 3 minutes). Once pulled to safety, I started attempting to start the car. After awhile, I was able to get the car started. The car works and drives, but it's not normal. The car is now idling very strangely and it sounds like it is misfiring (fluctuating rpms). I took it into Midas today and they got the diagnosis and it said (roughly.. I should have snapped a picture of the screen) air mass or volume intake malfunction, and then said Sensor A malfunctions on the cam, cam shaft, and something else. I'm taking it in tomorrow, but I'm kind of wondering what to expect tomorrow when I go in. I'm wondering if water is getting into the cylinders and making it misfire or if the sensor malfunction is not allowing it to rotate properly. I don't know.. Any idea what I can expect tomorrow?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Infiniti
5/21/2015
Infiniti Mechanic: Ted G., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Pulling water through a mass airflow sensor is not a good thing and that may the majority of your problem. But the airflow issue could also mean that you have bent a piston rod. What happens when water enters the engine is that it gets drawn into a combustion chamber and as the piston comes up and tries to compress it, the rod bends because water can't compress like air can. This causes one cylinder (or more) to draw less air per revolution and the mass airflow sensor can see that. So I suspect that the shop will monitor the airflow meter and hopefully that is all it will need. But there is a possibility it will need major engine work. The good news is that because this was an accident, you can get it covered on your insurance, possibly under your comprehensive so it won't effect your rates. If the bill gets too high, consider speaking with your insurance agent.