Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2005 infiniti g35 just had the rack and pinion replaced…

Customer Question
My 2005 infiniti g35 just...
My 2005 infiniti g35 just had the rack and pinion replaced to help with power steering stiffness, and problem still persists, it even seems that the ride quality is rougher. what should i do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Infiniti
4/21/2012
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 6 years ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Tire pressure can cause the rougher ride. What is with the steering and who replaced the steering rack? and Why?

Customer:

Hi there, upon complaining to my mechanic (who is the one who replaced my rack and pinion with a refurbished one), he told me that there is nothing wrong with my power steering when he test drove the vehicle. He also explained to me that the power steering on Infiniti g35's is naturally stiff( as if I don't know how my car is supposed to drive). He had determined that this was the issue with the vehicle as the power steering pump seemed to be fine, and was not leaking any fluids etc. The steering is still stiff, although not as much, and is worse when i attempt to make left turns, or full left u-turns. Also, when i drive over sewer caps in the road or that line of concrete in the road where old asphalt meets new asphalt, it slams the inside of my car, making it feel very harsh and loud. It feels as though its right under my feet when im driving. It is very rough now, and it was not nearly like that before this rack and pinion was replaced. Two days after this repair took place, i took the car back to the auto shop, and he "adjusted" some things for me and told me to try driving the car that way. I noticed no difference, and he even said he placed more air in my tires because they were "low", even though my tire pressure sensor did not go off.

Customer:

Might i also add that there is some "playing" with the wheel, when i make turns, the wheel will continue to turn in that direction vigorously until i set it straight. All in all, my car is not the same. I should now, i drive it. There is also a 90 day warranty on the labor, and one year warranty on the rack and pinion.

Jay :

Was this a Name shop that you may be able to take it to another shop?

Jay :

This sounds like the rack is loose or something. That would cause the noise, and the fact it doesn't return to the center on a turn sounds to me like it could be a incorrect rack

Jay :

I know these racks are a bit stiff, and can seem stiffer after replacement cause the original is broken in, but you should not have issues with steering wheel return.

Jay :

or any noises

Jay :

So if this is a like a pep boys or something that there are many others, I would take it to another shop to have it rechecked

Jay :

or to end this chase, bring it to the dealer, and if the dealer finds it's the rack have the repair shop pay for the repair since you have been to them multiple times and had no resolution.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

ok, sounds like i should take the vehicle to the Infiniti dealer and have the problem determined and put on paper. Because i know that there is something wrong with the rack, and the steering not to mention.

Customer:

and this was a mom/pop mechanic shop, not a major known one. and when i told the mechanic that there is a noise when i go over items in the road, he said that it is not related to the steering rack what so ever. he makes me feel very stupid.

Customer:

so should i ask for my money back, or give them yet another chance to fix the problem that they will not acknowledge. how many chances should i give them?

Jay :

Well if you have a good relationship with the shop, you may want to tell him what your thoughts are and what you plan on doing

Jay :

give him one more shot, and if he can't determine the problem, then go to the dealer and if the dealer finds it was the work performed, then I would see if you can have a lawyer go after the shop for the cost of repair since you have been to the shop a number of times for this.

Jay :