New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I bought my property in Auckland 2 years ago. The agent

Customer Question
Hi, I bought my...

Hi, I bought my property in Auckland 2 years ago. The agent disclosed that water collected out the back in heavy rain because the run off drain needed to be cleaned from time to time. That was it. However after I moved in in June 2016, the flooding was significant and I had to sandbag the garage doors. I had the drainage run off tank cleaned and flooding continued. I got them to put a camera in to see what the problem was, they couldn't see anything. I had spent $835 by now. I contacted the owner, he said that it didn't really worry him because it did drain away eventually and his kids liked to play in it, He said he would have put in a solution down the driveway, however this was well after I bought the house and I was worried about it. I spoke to the neighbours, They also had issues because the area is volcanic and water is drained via soak holes, not stormwater drainage, and they are about 50 years old now. So I had the soak hole cleaned, added 2 more downpipes and sumps to the house, replaced the guttering on the garage, still flooded.Now have spent around $4K. In 2017 I was diagnosed with cancer and underwent radiation/chemo treatment and just left the sandbags out all winter. Now I need to sell and downsize because I can't manage the house and section, let alone the drainage. I've had drain layer, concrete cutter, hydrologist to have a look, It is not an easy fix, and will cost at least 6-10K, possible more. One of my neighbour got his costed at @

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No, I haven't done anything, I have no money to fix it and I would lose too much if I sell it without fixing it, and I would never have bought it had the defect been fully revealed to me. The questions I have - is there a time limit after you've bought the property, and would I be better in the first instance to write to the previous owners and see if they are prepared to pay to get it fixed?

Lawyer's Assistant: You have to pay for your first question. If you sign up for a membership, there is a free trial for questions after that.

How much is that

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Onehunga

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much does this cost please

Lawyer's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

OK

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: New Zealand Law
5/29/2018
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
Chris The Lawyer
Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help with your question today
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
OK - have you got my information, I just got a message saying you are a NZ in Wgton and will help me with my question
You could claim against the previous owner but the problem is that you were told about the issue, and the owner will say you should have obtained expert advice. But there is a six year time limit and you should at least ask them to contribute
The purchaser has an obligation to check the condition of the property when you decide to buy and so once you sign up and realise there is a problem you should check. If the cost is under $15,000 you could bring a claim without a lawyer in the Disputes Tribunal
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Even if it was not fully revealed, because I was happy to get the drain cleaned out but did not realise that the problem was not the drain, but that the soak hole is acting as a water storage tank instead of a drainage mechanism, so the problem could never be resolved by having the drainage tank cleaned, which is basically just a concrete bucket with a grate on top. To fix it, the water has to have drainage installed to drain it out down the driveway and over the road to a stormwater drain. My neighbour got a costing for that for $20K, shall I send you the email I got from the previous owner after I had moved in?
I assume he brushes off your claim. I would suggest you get a quote then write and request a contribution or payment
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
OK I will try that. Thank you for you help
Feel free to follow up if you have more questions or rate my answer if you are ready