New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Car insurance claim issue. I was in a car accident and the…

Customer Question
Car insurance claim issue...

Car insurance claim issue. I was in a car accident and the guy who hit my car from behind has taking full responsibility for the damage. My car Toyota Corolla Axio 2008 has been assessed to be writen off and his insurance company State Insurance have said they will paid out $9000. I had finance on the car and have about $4822.40 left to pay off. State Insurance stated that they will pay the car dealers the $9000 to pay off the car and the rest of the money should be given back to me. I brought the car in finance in 2015 for $13,980.00 however after the extra costs I borrowed a total of $15,283.00.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

State Insurance NZ

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just called them to get update on claim n the lady settled at $9000 payout and they keep my car. My car is worth way more than $9000 n why do they get to keep the car when it was their client that was at fault. I only had til 2019 to pay the car off in total and I would have sold the car for more and $9000. I have already put in $9000+ into my car and now I have to share that $9000 that State Insurance is offering and I get about $5000 from what the finance will handover. I am without a car and nothing to show for it. Feeling ripped off

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I get a copy of the assessors report that th a

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Can I get a copy of the assessors car report that the insurance company base there payouts on?. Can I get the pay out Increased?.Can I keep my car and take the money that is left over from paying the finance company.
3/26/2018
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Chris The Lawyer
Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help with your question today
You can challenge the valuation and get the assessors report. I suggest that you get another expert to value the car with the improvements and then tell State you want a better deal. So if they refuse to make a better offer you can take them to the Disputes Tribunal. As for the finance company, you will find that the finance contract does require that they be paid out first, so you don’t have much room to negotiate there