How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 24150
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband what a has filed for a divorce. He just told me

This answer was rated:

My husband what a has filed for a divorce
JA: What steps has your husband taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?
Customer: He just told me on his phone
JA: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?
Customer: Tokorua
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He saw a text from a friend and think I’m having an affaire
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could you please advice can you give me
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

While you are thinking about the telephone offer, the steps to obtain a divorce are fairly simple. The only grounds for divorce are that you have been separated for more than two years. In the meantime, if you do separate you will need to sort out relationship property and if you have children, you will need to agree on parenting and contact arrangements.

He cannot use an alleged affair as grounds for obtaining a divorce any sooner. The only ground is separation. If there are communication problems and you want to try to save the marriage, then there are counselling services available which can often help even if you decide to separate.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you that was very helpful, he doesn’t want me to contact him again, and I feel abandoned cause he walk out and he said I got a month to move out, we have been married for 15 yrs on may 3th
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I have to move out, we have a daughter that 17 yrs
You don’t have to move out. However the home will need to be sold if you cannot afford to buy him out, or if both of you cannot agree on what happens with the house. He cannot tell you to just move out. You will need to get a lawyer if you cannot agree together on things and need to go to court
But you can stay until the house is sold
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you