New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My husband what a has filed for a divorce. He just told me…

My husband what a...

My husband what a has filed for a divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your husband taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?

He just told me on his phone

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

Tokorua

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He saw a text from a friend and think I’m having an affaire

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could you please advice can you give me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/26/2018
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

While you are thinking about the telephone offer, the steps to obtain a divorce are fairly simple. The only grounds for divorce are that you have been separated for more than two years. In the meantime, if you do separate you will need to sort out relationship property and if you have children, you will need to agree on parenting and contact arrangements.

He cannot use an alleged affair as grounds for obtaining a divorce any sooner. The only ground is separation. If there are communication problems and you want to try to save the marriage, then there are counselling services available which can often help even if you decide to separate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you that was very helpful, he doesn’t want me to contact him again, and I feel abandoned cause he walk out and he said I got a month to move out, we have been married for 15 yrs on may 3th
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I have to move out, we have a daughter that 17 yrs
You don’t have to move out. However the home will need to be sold if you cannot afford to buy him out, or if both of you cannot agree on what happens with the house. He cannot tell you to just move out. You will need to get a lawyer if you cannot agree together on things and need to go to court
But you can stay until the house is sold
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer