New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I seeking advice relating to a court case involving my

sister and niece. Quick brief: My...
I seeking advice relating to a court case involving my sister and niece.
Quick brief: My sister (47) was banned from seeing her grandchildren by her daughter (28) due to a drug addiction. Despite this, she picked up the children from school. Thier mother (niece) found the children 3 hours later with my sister. There was altercation that result in my niece physically punched my sister in the face. My sister reported the incident with the police. Since then my sister has dropped the charges but obviously it still going to court.
My questions are; 1) what is consequence if my sister if she doesn’t turn up to court and if so, would the charges against my niece be dropped?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

If your sister refuses to come to court, it is possible that a warrant for her arrest would be issued. The court can issue a warrant to force a witness to come to court. In this sort of situation, that may be unlikely. The judge would be likely to bring the prosecution to an end, but it is possible to rely on statements made to the police, and have those produced as evidence. The best result would be a restorative justice process, which could be reported to the court as the issues having been settled between the parties.

Chris The Lawyer
Very much appreciated!!
Well explained.