How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 24149
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has trouble talking to his 6 year old son as his ex

Customer Question

my son has trouble talking to his 6 year old son as his ex hangs up the phone all the time. His son loves his dad totally and is been told far to much and a lot of lies. it is breaking both them. My son is so worried about going through the courts as she will stop any contact while this is happening. I cant stand by and watch this torment any longer
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: I am not 100% on what has gone down. My son has a record because she has rung the police on him a couple of times but he never told them he has been beaten by her a few times because he is so worried she will take his son away. she is very cunning and never put him on the birth cert (I think she has been claiming the dbp all the time as well)
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?
Customer: We live in Napier and she lives in Auckland. What country am I sending this to?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: r u a robot or a person?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

Not a robot!

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

There is a better option for improving contact between them, which is to use FDR family mediation. This is a service which means you don't have to go to court and you don't need lawyers. The family mediators are specially trained to help couples (even those at a distance) to reach parenting agreements which work out. There is a fee for using the service but if they are not able to pay, the fee can be for waived. There are many providers for FDR mediation and the best place to start is Fairway Resolution and I will give you the contact details. He can call them and discuss the mediation and preparation for mediation so that he understands what is needed. The mediator will get in touch with her to have a similar conversation

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

Family Dispute Resolution - 0800 77 44 20

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think they have gone through that. She is one convincing lady and smiles and says yes that is great then plays with both their minds. I think it is much deeper and a lot more involved than that now
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

If she is not complying with the agreement reached at mediation, then he is able to either have a further mediation or make an application to the family court. If he is not working he will qualify for legal aid. He will need to set out what he wants by way of contact looking forward or enforcement of the mediated agreement, if that is what happened. Normally there is a formal agreement reached after mediation – do you know if that took place?