New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Abandoned house which IRD may seize as owners owe tax and…

Customer Question
Abandoned house which IRD...

Abandoned house which IRD may seize as owners owe tax and out of country. Is it posible to obtain the property from IRD?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have the owners taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

SAuckland'

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
3/18/2018
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

If the house is to be seized by Inland Revenue for payment of tax, then they would go through a process of placing a charging order on the title, and then of selling the property with a writ of sale. This is a process where the sale will be advertised in the paper. They will not generally enter into a private sale, but place the property on the market