New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My mother died Nov 15 2017. Her & her husband operated

Customer Question
My mother died Nov...

My mother died Nov 15 2017. Her & her husband operated separate bank accounts as per their pre-nup agreement

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No hold on her husband took her money and gave it to his lawyer to look after

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Are you in nz

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes can you please connect me

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
3/17/2018
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

You should contact the lawyer and tell them that you have a claim to her money under the Family Protection Act and would like to know what is there. If they refuse to supply any details you could brief a lawyer to write with a formal claim. Generally a parent has a moral obligation to provide for their children and this is the purpose of the Family Protection Act. If there is a substantial amount, you may need to file a claim in the Family Court

Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for using this site. You may ask further questions or rate this answer when you are ready.