New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

When we married my then husband took out a Life Builder

When we married my...

When we married my then husband took out a Life Builder Insurance Policy with me being the owner of the Policy.We have since seperated but have not done anything legally. We still live on the same property but in different dwellings. He now wishes to cash the policy in.. do I have a right to any of the money he will receive?.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in New Zealand

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

Life insurance policies are covered by the Property Relationships Act, which means that if he cashes policy in, then you are entitled to claim a half share. If you have not made any provision for division of relationship property you should do so now, and include your property as well as things like life insurance and any KiwiSaver

Chris The Lawyer
Thanks for that.... What about full life policy that can only be claimed on death . As I intend to move from this property once it has been sold as we have been together for over 30 yrs

A policy worth something is divided, but a term life cover payable on death has no present value. So on his death that would fall into his estate, and distributed under his will