New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

How are you? I have just learnt that my ex husband set up a…

Hi How are you? ...

Hi How are you?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

I have just learnt that my ex husband set up a family trust but that didn't include our daughter only the children he had with his current wife, is it legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I am in NZ

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The family trust has been set up two years ago

3/15/2018
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

He is entitled to set up this trust, but after he dies, your daughter can still make a claim under the Family Protection Act against his estate. Unfortunately if most of his estate is then settled into the family trust this can cause difficulties. It is difficult to claim against the family trust under existing law.

is there any possible to change the family trust before he dies? for example, forced by law?

As the person who settled the family trust, he can change the class of beneficiaries at any time. But you cannot force this by a legal proceeding. It would be simple for him to change the class of beneficiaries however. All he would need to do is to get the trustees to sign a deed of Amendment.

Chris The Lawyer
thanks so lot for your answer, it would be difficult for him to change if no one can force him, he and his current wife are trustees and I am sure she definitely doesn't want to sign a deed of Amendment.

It's unfair but sadly not unlawful