New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I'm at a lost end, and don't know what to do. I'm in New…

Customer Question
I'm at a lost...

I'm at a lost end, and don't know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm in New Zealand

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I'm just wanting to seak some basic initial advice

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've not taken any steps yet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I'm new to this system.. Is someone there right now?
My partner is pregnant.. We broke up a couple of days before we found out. We've been hoping to make it work but it's a disaster.
I don't know what to do, I can't get through to my partner anymore.. We need to put things straight and go our separate ways.
We both have our names on the title of our house, but I'm the one who has invested everything and continue to pay for everything.
She is now saying she's not going anywhere, she's going to have the baby and stay in the house.
I know I can't kick her out because our names are ***** ***** the title and it's a delicate situation because she's pregnant.. But I'm completely stuck.. What do I do? What are my rights - as the one paying for everything, as the father of the child and in general in a situation like this?
3/15/2018
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

I am sorry I couldn't get to you yesterday, due to commitments on my part. I can help now

I don't know if you have tried family counselling, or whether it is too late for this. That sometimes can help with communication even if you decide that you cannot live together anymore. Couple counselling will often help with the problem which you identify, which is that you cannot get through to her.

With regard to the house, if you cannot agree on who will stay in the house, it has to be sold. If you have been together for more than three years, then your relationship property will be divided equally. Since the house is in joint names, then the sale proceeds will need to be divided equally.

You may also want to think about parenting arrangements in the longer term. You will be liable for child support once the child is born, and I'm sure you will want to have contact with child. A discussion about these matters would be useful but perhaps wait until the initial issues have settled down