New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

What we have here is an elderly father who is smitten by a…

What we have here...

What we have here is an elderly father who is smitten by a much younger spouse who he thinks is having an affair with every man in the family and also gets all upset when he thinks that she is doing it in the front yard etc,our mother passed 2yrs ago and yet it wasn't a year and then this woman turned up at the New house recently purchased from the proceeds from our previous family home and apparenlty she was in NZ on a work visa as she is from American Samoa and wants to stay in NZ with a man twice her age this is what we can't grasp but he is adamant that its no ones business but his own,Being of polynesian descent he has lost all his churchly duties as a deacon if thats a word and his standing in the church and family community have plummeted to zero since his so called marriage to this woman i feel we as his childeren we have no say in his well being as he now trusts this woman of two minutes and not the constant reservation of his childeren and family and the house he bought was free hold and now it has a $40,000 loan on it now and between them his pension and her benefits which we helped her to setup wasn't enough to cover day to day living as we are here in Australia and yet every week there is always a phonecall to send money as the bills are piling up and yet we left all mums money and other entilements she received after her passing.Sorry about the long essay but i want to know is there anything we can do as as he has moved out of the family home and wants to sell the house now and i don't think he is the right frame of mind to make such decisions as he has been influenced by a wife he dosen't trust today and then tomorrow he trusts her again and also other family members aren't helping.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Nothing at all and thats what we thought a member of the family that works for a NZ govt department was looking into and yet she was lying about it

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Look the brief is long and i'm not good at typing..lol but we just need some sort of help with this matter because she takes him to the cleaners and we can't help him.

3/10/2018
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

The issue is whether he is of sound mind and can understand what he is doing. The paranoia sounds a bit like early dementia, and you may want to see if his doctor has concerns. If he cannot look after his affairs then you can get the Family Court to appoint a property manager, but that would be only possible if he was quite irrational. And making the application would no doubt be very upsetting for the family. But I think a family meeting would be the first step, so you can reach a decision with the elders and wider family to try to bring this under control. If that is not possible, then the family court may be the next option

Chris The Lawyer
He will not consider a family meeting as it represents disrespect and content and this is not want we want we don't want to upset him because this family has been through enough even though it's been two years since our mothers passing we the siblings haven't really really had time to grieve as this woman just appeared out of nowhere and for him to just not care about his kids feelings is rather sad and this woman will get everything under spousal rights.

They have to be together for three years, but no doubt she will stay at least until then. The only way to stop this is a family intervention, and you can only force the issue if he has dementia