New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My mother passed away last year how can I obtain access to…

Customer Question
My mother passed away...

My mother passed away last year how can I obtain access to her will. I have been estranged from the family and my sister was executed of her estate

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry I live in new zealand so you probably can't help me

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do mean with that

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is no property involved just personal belongings and a little cash how long would probate take

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: New Zealand Law
3/9/2018
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

If she only had personal possessions and cash under $15,000 then probate of the will may not be needed. When a will is probated, a copy is lodged with the High Court, but if there is no need for probate then the will remains private. In that situation, you would need to reach out to family and ask, but if they refuse, it may not be possible

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks yes I was aware of the probate bit. However, I believe there is more than 15,000 no idea how much more. If it is lodged how can I then access the will?

You can search the High Court Registry and I suggest you contact the Wellington Registry as they handle all the probate applications. They keep records of all applications and you can get a copy of the will. I will get the contact details for you shortly

Wellington High Court

*****/p>

Opening hours

9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday

Phone numbers

Phone: 04(###) ###-####br />From overseas: +64 4(###) ###-####br />Fax: 04(###) ###-####/p>

Email

*****@******.***

Wellington High Court

SX11199
Wellington

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Many thanks, ***** ***** follow this up.RegardsKlasina Sewell

Thank you for the reply and for using this site. You may ask further questions or rate this answer when you are ready.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I was asked for payment it said $5.00 which I felt was a fair amount and when I checked my account today there has been a withdrawal of $61.00. I think this has been very misleading and would like to have $56.00 refunded. For just two questions cost me dearly. I am asking you to do the right thing and not tell me that the payment has nothing to do with you that someone else is in charge of it and you just get paid your commision. This is not right what has been done. Please rectify this forthwith. Regards Klasina
You can obtain a refund by contacting JustAnswer direct as I don’t handle the money payments
If you read the terms $5 was the deposit and not the full fee. But the policy is that you can seek a refund
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer