New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I am confused between phd or a one year diploma in new

zealand. What should i do...
I am confused between phd or a one year diploma in new zealand. What should i do
3/8/2018
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

Are you applying for a student visa? Generally a PhD takes a minimum of 2 to 3 years. Are you looking at a postgraduate diploma?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Mam,I live in Punjab, India and want to apply study visa for newzealand keeping my wise as main applicant. I am have chosen 2 options but i am very confused about which one is correct for me and wife keeping PR in mind in future.My Fiance has completed Mcom Hons with 6.75 CGPA in 2015 and is working in HDFC Bank after that. Currently she is working in HDFC BANK as Assistant Manager.Option 1 is opting for PHDOption 2 is doing a one year PG DiplomaPlease suggest.

The key to any path to permanent residency is to get qualifications in the skill shortage area. If you want to study first and then get a job, you should choose a course of study which will qualify you for a job on the skill shortage list. It doesn't matter whether you apply for a PhD or a postgraduate diploma. It's what will get you a job

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if we choose phd we will not be able to apply pr for next 5 years until phd is complete.and if we choose a pg diploma course we can apply after 1 year.What do you suggest.

If your goal is to get permanent residency and you want to get this done quickly then it seems logical to choose an appropriate postgraduate diploma. But as I said the important factor is what will get you a job

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand that main concern is job. Also can you please clear that weather we can buy franchisee / invest / open a company ? me or my wife who will be the main applicant?

If the applicant is on a student visa, then their partner can come as a partner of the student. They can generally get a work visa but they could also set up a company. The work visa would be for a specific job however and the company would need to be something extra

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last point is if i choose for a diploma total expenses will be around 35k and if i choose to do phd total expense will be 7-10k on the other hand i will get a stipend of around 28k every year + many other perks.Now if i opt for PHD, as it is a level 10 course do you think finding a job will be easy compared to a pg diploma which is level 8 there are more job options?My aim is not to get PR faster my aim is to choose the right path even if it takes time.

It's very difficult for me to assess whether you would get a job more easily, because there are many factors involved. It depends on what you are studying and what jobs are available when you are looking for employment. It isn't really a legal issue, but a practical one you need to assess having regard to the skill shortage list and your course of study

Chris The Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
let me find out more details on skill shortage list and then i can choose how to move ahead. Thank you so much fr your help. I appriciate it. Thank You.
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer