New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I was a permanent resident of Australia from 2010 to 2015. I…

Customer Question
I was a permanent...

I was a permanent resident of Australia from 2010 to 2015. I purchased a motor vehicle through Toyota but suddenly had to return home to NZ as I was experiencing a tough moment in my life. Since departing Australia in 2015 I received an email two days ago stating my debt had been passed on to collections and accumulated to $95,000 . I’m in absolutely no position to repay this now and I’m wondering what will possibly happen to the debt now that I permanently reside back home in NZ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

NSW . Four years old now

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I received an email from a collection company two days ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

No problem Chris thank you for your time today .

The finance company would need to get a judgment in Australia and then enforce the judgment in New Zealand. That can be done as the two court systems cooperate. If they bring the judgment to New Zealand you may need to consider whether bankruptcy is an option, and this will depend on what assets you have and your present position

If you have questions about bankruptcy let me know. It will take time to get any judgment and it is possible that by telling them you have no means to pay, that they will not bother with the expense of enforcement in both countries

Alright no problem, my current situation isn’t great so where does that leave me? I have very little assets now either. Also can you please let me know why I’ve just been charged $48 when I was notified this would only cost $5. Sorry I just can’t afford to lose the $48 right now.

$5 is the deposit. If you accept the answer $48 is the fee.

You could be up front and tell them if they push you will apply for bankruptcy, and they will get nothing. And if they get insistent I can advise where you go to apply for bankruptcy- it isnt a complicated process, but lasts for three years and there are some restrictions