New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I am married to a Cuban woman and we seperated over 2 years…

Customer Question
I am married to...

I am married to a Cuban woman and we seperated over 2 years ago. We got married in Cuba and I don't have our marriage certificate. She no longer lives in New Zealand although she has NZ citizenship. I would like to get a divorce but I havent been able to get any advice from the Cuban embassy or through any other means. We have signed a final separation agreement, so we have no financial claims on each other. Since we were married in Cuba, do I need to get a divorce there or do I even need to get a divorce at all?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

We are legally separated. I have both NZ and US citizenship. I do not understand USCIS

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Like what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I went to a lawyer for the separation agreement which was signed by both of us. I'm not sure if that is filed somewhere or not.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
3/6/2018
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

If you live in New Zealand at present you can apply to the New Zealand family court to have the marriage dissolved. You do need the marriage certificate, and you would need to get a certified copy from the Cuban government office of the marriage registration. The separation agreement is not particularly important because you can give evidence that you have been separated for two years, which is all you need. There is no particular need to go to the expense however, unless you intend getting married again. If you think that is a possibility, then you would need to get this marriage dissolved. The New Zealand dissolution of marriage procedure is not complicated, although you would need to arrange for a copy of the application to be given to your wife. So you would need to know current address, or arrange to serve by substituted service