New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Just got interrupted. Neighbour objects to our boundary

Hello Paul; Just got...

Hello Paul; Just got interrupted. Neighbour objects to our boundary trees shading their property and affecting their lawn and vege garden. What liability in law do we have to top / trim the trees. Could cost $1,000

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Nw Zealand, Central Otago

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

In the legal sense, not thtaI am aware of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Cannot think of aything.

1/19/2018
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

Under the Property Law Act your neighbour can apply to court to have the trees trimmed or removed if they are a problem. Usually people share the costs of trimming so it may not be quite so bad for you. I would suggest you have a discussion about sharing the costs, and point out (if you need to) that forcing the issue would cost a lot more than a reasonable contribution to the costs of trimming

Chris The Lawyer
Thank you Chris. We should be able to work with that. BTW, the quick access code to your answer did not work; iI tried two browsers.
Thanks, ***** ***** pass that on to the techies
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer