New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I am divorced from my husband but our property is still in…

Hi there, Hi there ...

Hi there, Hi there

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Hi, I am divorced from my husband but our property is still in both our names. The property has just been sub decided. Am I entitled to half the money for this. Many thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, what am I entitled to where the rest of our property is concerned. He still lives in the house we own .

1/17/2018
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

Normally when a subdivision takes place, both owners need to sign the forms to complete the new survey and for the new titles to issue. So if you are still on the title, you will have to sign the forms to enable the subdivision to be completed, which will give you the ability to require payment of your share of the property. Normally when you separate, the parties negotiate a relationship property agreement which says what happens to the property. But if the property is in your joint names, you are entitled to a half share, because that is the ownership shown on the title. So you are in a position where he will require signatures, which will mean you can ask for your share of the property

That's what I thought, however my ex husband intends to pay for debts he has from his business which has nothing to do with me and said I will get half of what is left

If the debts are separate property, then they must come out of his share of the property. But he will not be able to complete the subdivision without your signature, and so you are in a position to force him to pay out your share, and he will have to look after his debts from his own share

Thank you very much

Thank you for the reply and for using this site. You may ask further questions or rate this answer when you are ready.

Chris The Lawyer