New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Do NZ books get registered at the American Copyright

Customer Question
Do NZ books get...

Do NZ books get registered at the American Copyright registery office or is there a NZ office to register copyright?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Zealand.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
1/16/2018
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

Under New Zealand law and the Copyright Act you do not need to register a book to claim copyright. If you are the author the copyright applies automatically, although many choose to insert a statement in the publication asserting the copyright. But you don't need to take any official steps to claim copyright.