New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Is the maximum length of time for a rental lease no more…

Customer Question
Is the maximum length...

Is the maximum length of time for a rental lease no more than 12 months at a time in New Zealand?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Auckland Province New Zealand

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. We signed a lease agreement for 3 years and we have been told it is illegal if more than 12 months (1 year) in New Zealand.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
1/9/2018
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Chris The Lawyer
Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help with your question today
That is not correct. The Residential Tenancies Act does not prohibit Tenancies longer than 12 months. There is no restriction on the term at all.