New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I will start with the brief background and my question to…

Customer Question
Hi, I will start with...
Hi, I will start with the brief background and my question to follow after that. Second part of December I was arrested for MATH charges, my partner went to the hospital as she "suffered broken neck" but she discharged herself the following day once I was not released. We have had long running issues, we have had multiple counseling both in home and through her work with professionals. Last session was with very expensive psychiatrist in October last year where within 20 min of our session the psychiatrist asked if she was ok to take some medication. Regardless to say like any efforts before she decided not to peruse any more professional help this time around as well.
In Dec police laid 2 charges against me, MAF and Intention to injure (manully), I go bailed after 3 days and on 24 hours curfew at my ex wife's house :( . We have kids, some old enough to witness. My wife first was very aggressive towards my older kid who wanted her belongings to be taken out. gradually she softened and for past week (week 3 of 6 for 24hr curfue) she has been trying to engage both my daughter and ex wife to get me a laywer who can get me off the charges she has laid.
Both the Cyps and Police have been lying to her about additional charges which never happened. She was told by CYPS that I had protection order against my name.. She slowly realized that both Police and Cyps are not telling her the truth. Police is refusing for her to withdraw her statement.
Now to the question.
Curfew is till 1 February 2018, Court date is to make a plea etc, today she has texted my daughter to advise that police have told her that if I don't dispute the charges I will get only community service and will be allowed to return home. Can this be true?
Police told me at the time of the only checkup they did around 22nd Dec that case will go on till late of this year?
I have several doctors letters for attack on me by her, as well as 7-12 letters of community members etc to support my case.What is my best chance..
No prior arrest or conviction...
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
1/8/2018
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

I am in Auckland

The sentence for these charges can depend on many factors. If there is no previous offence, and no injury other than bruising, and she has come around in terms of her attitude then community service is the most likely result. Early pleas of guilty, attending anger management counselling and community support are also helpful.

You really need to get an experienced lawyer to advise on the best tactics and to present the best case. If the assault is not disputed (even if the details are contested) then you can negotiate the charges, sometimes down to common assault, and then look at the appropriate sentence.