New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I have a query about my rights as a grandpatrent to see my…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a query about my rights as a grandpatrent to see my grandchildren.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Auckalnd New Zealand. Sorry, I thought this was a NZ service

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

DO I give the story to the lawyer or you?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
My ex-daughter-in-law has only allowed me to see my 13 1/2 & 12 1/2 year old grandchildren twice in the last 12 months. 1 night / 2 days Dec 2016, ditto last April. They only live about 20 kms away and I pick them up / take them home, travel is not an issue.
The reasons given for me not being able to have them always that seem (on the surface) very plausible - we're going away, we're too busy, they've got too much on.
Previously, I was (usually) allowed to have them to stay for 2 nights/3 days, 3-4 times a year, although only during the school holidays. Obviously, there is more to the back-story, but I won't go into it now.As I haven't seen them since last April I'm gettng very frustrated now that, once again, I won't be allowed to see them or have them stay this summer holidays. So I'd like to know what options could be open to me.
1/3/2018
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

If you are being fobbed off with excuses there must be some reasons behind this. I note she is your ex daughter in law so I expect that separating from your son has caused some issues. If discussion is not working, then sometimes FDR family mediation is the next best step. This can be arranged quickly and will provide a safe place where a mediator can facilitate an agreement about more contact. Once this is in place then the excuses will not work as she will need to plan around the contact. It is possible to apply to the Family Court although this is a serious and expensive step where you would need lawyers. For mediation you dont need a lawyer or any court contact

you're correct. The seperation and divorce was very acrimoniuos, and sad to say most of the fault lies with my son. I think she would like to "wipe" our side of the family off as far as the children are concerned. There half sister can't get to see them either.
He no longer sees his children as he signed an (informal) agreement with his ex that he would pay no maintence and would no longer see the children. I was disgusted and upset that he would do such a thing, and it caused a rift between myself and my son, although we are back in contact now. Both of them seem to be using the children as pawns.I have also been told by her that if I allow my son any acess whatsoever to the children while they're in my care, she will completely stop me from seeing them.Thanks for your suggestion. Mediation sounds the way to go, as I'm on a persion and don't have funds to go to court. Do you have a link for FDR? I'm not sure what that stands for.Thanks for your help
Sue

FDR just means Family Dispute Resolution and the contact for them is at Fairway Resolution.

Their phone is Family Dispute Resolution - 0800 77 44 20

Thanks Chris, you've been very helpful.

Thank you for the reply and for using this site. You may ask further questions or rate this answer when you are ready.

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer