New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

If my spouse is not faithful and I file a divorce, Will I…

Customer Question
If my spouse is...

If my spouse is not faithful and I file a divorce, Will I have to give away half my property to him/her?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It is under mortgage

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
1/3/2018
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

sure

If your marriage has come to an end, then your relationship property will need to be divided equally. This means that you will either have to sell the property and repay the mortgage, then divide the money between you, or the further option would be for one of you to buy out the other partners share. Relationship property is the house that you have lived in, and any furniture and assets in the house, cars, KiwiSaver and any other jointly owned property. You don't have to go to court to divide the property, if both of you can reach an agreement. The marriage can be dissolved after you have been separated for two years.

Thank you

Thank you for the reply and for using this site. You may ask further questions or rate this answer when you are ready.