New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Citizen and my husband is sri lankan citizen we have a 22…

Customer Question
Hi pearl im NZ...

Hi pearl im NZ citizen and my husband is sri lankan citizen we have a 22 month old daughter living in Australia is NZ immigration able to help me out witj my husband who is in detention?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Melbourne

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We were told we have to write a letter to the minister of immigration

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have spoken to asylum seekers here in Melbourne

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
12/30/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Chris The Lawyer
Hi
Hi, I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help with your question today
Why is he in detention? Is he an asylum seeker?
He's In detention because he over stayed under one year and is scared to go back to Sri Lanka due to his situation, they refused his protection visa when we tried to apply and they also said I could not apply for partnership visa. I rung NZ immigration and they wondered why I could not do that off shore which apparently I could

In New Zealand you could apply for a partnership visa but that would mean coming to New Zealand. You can apply for that online however

in other words i can't help while he's still I'm detention?
You can but he may need to sign the application and you would need to see him for that purpose