New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Hiya. Me and my daughter's father are not together anymore…

Customer Question
Hiya. Me and my daughter's father...
Hiya.
Me and my daughter's father are not together anymore and he is currently trying to blackmail me into having sexual contact with him or he will withhold our daughter.
We have no custody agreement so would I be right in thinking that him not giving her back would be legal?
Thanks
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
12/27/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

That is a serious criminal offence. If you are only consenting to have sex to get your child back this would be rape. He could potentially be jailed for this threat, but you will need to negotiate this carefully of course

If you dont have a formal parenting agreement but only a verbal arrangement, then it can be difficult to enforce the agreement which you have. But threatening you like this would mean he would lose any rights for some time.

In practical terms, you need to get the child back in your care and then go to the police with a complaint. I am not saying agree to the sexual contact but try to fob him off until the child is back

With the child back in your care then you should refuse any further contact