New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

New Zealand Law

What is the minimum time that should be paid out for a

Customer Question
What is the minimum...

What is the minimum time that should be paid out for a shift? When working weekends or holidays I often only do half an hour or one hour, and that is all I get paid for.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm in New Zealand.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't understand. I often work very short hours on my allocated weekend on, and wondered if I should be paid for a minimum of, say, 2 hours.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: New Zealand Law
12/25/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

Does your employment contract have anything about payment for callout or minimum hours? Some do, but not all.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unfortunately I'm not sure where my contract is at present. Is there no legal minimum in law?

Unfortunately there is no specific law which says that you must be paid for certain periods when you are on a call out or just work a short time. While some workers have negotiated arrangements, there is no legal entitlement under general employment law. You can ask your employer for a copy of the contract and they must give you one, if that helps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the info. I will find my contract and check it. By the way, could you pass on to the just answer site that I'm not happy with the way they portray the fee. No mention of a fee until the question has been asked. Then the assistant says they are passing me onto a secure site to pay a $5 fee. The site then charges me $41 and says it is fully refundable but after paying, it seems only refundable if I'm not satisfied. I tried to back-arrow to ask why there was a discrepancy in the fee payment but the system wouldn't let me. I really think the fee information should be up front before I start as now it's left a 'bad taste in my mouth' about the service.

Thanks for the answer. I will pass on your comment to the admin-or you could direct at***@******.***. I dont see the same screen as you, so I am not familiar with the process.

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer