New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

If a Security Guard walks off his shift saying I am out of…

Customer Question
If a Security Guard...

If a Security Guard walks off his shift saying I am out of here after he has been spoken to about poor workmanship where does this leave the employer

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Zealand Auckland

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just need to know what my next step should be

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
12/19/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Chris The Lawyer
Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help with your question today
While this looks like a resignation it can be a good idea to have a cooling off period rather than just assume he has resigned. So your next step is to contact him after a few days and ask if he actually meant to resign. If he says yes, then his job has ended. But otherwise you may want to get him in to discuss this. If he just doesn’t contact you, then you can write and tell him after a week that he has abandoned his job