New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Our neighbours cut our tree down without our permission. Is…

Customer Question
Our neighbours cut our...

Our neighbours cut our tree down without our permission. Is there anything I can do.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Zealand

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/19/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

They can be sued for trespass and the loss of the tree. The value of th claims is likely to be fairly small but it may send a message and you could sue them in the dIsputes Tribunal. You don't need a lawyer for this and the fees are small. The amount would be the loss of the tree as shelter and beautifying your garden, which could be a little hard to assess but would be worth something.