New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I got a car from a dealer in Feb this year the motor I

Customer Question
Hello I got a...

Hello I got a car from a dealer in Feb this year the motor blown I didn't get insurance for mechanical breakdown cause of age what can I do

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Nz 1996 skyline

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I just called left a message him contact me I'm contracted till 2020 to pay off a car that's worthless

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not currently thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
12/12/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

Hi Chris

Although you have had the car for 11 months, you might want to consider whether the dealer has sold you a defective car. This is of course a 21 year old car, but you are still covered by the Consumer Guarantees Act. What this means is that the car should most likely have lasted more than 11 months and therefore the engine failure shows that the dealer has sold a defective car. You need to consider whether the car was properly maintained and the milage you have done, together with the degree of care given to the car. If you were a very fussy owner and looked after the car, with servicing and did not thrash the car, I think it is likely that the dealer would have to contribute to the cost of repairs. So you should start by asking the dealer if he is prepared to do so

Ok well he knew at time faults but didn't disclose it I took it on in good faith maintained it I took it to a mechanic with a list of issues for my trouble now I have a car I'm paying off till 2020 if he dose not contact me or offer me assistance on repairs what are my opitions?

There is a special tribunal which deals with car problems called the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal. They sit with a chairman and a specialist assessor, and they have considerable knowledge about whether this is something where you should get compensation. So your next step should be to get a quote for the repairs, and ask the dealer to pay. If he refuses, then make a claim to the tribunal. I have included a link for the tribunal below

Thank you you have given me a good way to work through this hardest part now is trying to contact the guy in question I was told by mtf they don't deal with dealer I was disappointed he still has licence to trade

Sadly some are just not good dealers

I found a lot of them I think is have better luck picking a car off the road for sale than car yards thanks for your help

You're welcome. Thanks for allowing me to assist you. If you have further questions, let me know. If not, please rate me now so I can be paid.

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer