New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I am an owner in an apartment. I wish to attend the

Customer Question
I am an owner...

I am an owner in an apartment. I wish to attend the committee meetings of the Body Corp. Do I have a right to attend. I attended today regarding a serious complaint regarding lack of lighting or insufficient lighting. I was asked to speak and then told to leave. I remained and the chairman moved the meeting to hisrivate apartment and I was left at the abandoned venue. Can you advise me please.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NZ Nelson

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I have complained often

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

As result poor lighting or at least contributed to my breaking my hip and now have full hip replacement

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
12/11/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

You can attend general meetings of the Body Corporate as of right, but not usually the committee meetings unless invited or unless your Body Corporate has rules about open committee meetings

It may be helpful if you know the regulations which say-

27 Body corporate committee business

(1) A body corporate committee must meet within 1 month of the date of service of a notice of delegation under section 108(1) of the Act.

(2) A body corporate committee may meet as often as it considers necessary.

(3) If there is no quorum at a body corporate committee meeting, the following procedure applies:

(a) the meeting must be adjourned until the same day 1 week later:

(b) the reconvened meeting must be held at the same time and place, unless the committee chairperson has notified the committee members of a change to the time or place (or both) at least 3 days before the reconvened meeting is due to take place:

(c) the reconvened meeting must proceed, whether a quorum exists or not.

(4) If the chairperson of a body corporate is not a committee member, he or she is entitled to attend and be heard at a body corporate committee meeting, but not to vote.

(5) The body corporate committee must provide copies of the minutes of its meetings to a unit owner in the unit title development if the unit owner requests them.

and-

28 Body corporate committee reports

(1) A body corporate committee must report to the body corporate at each annual general meeting of the body corporate.

(2) A body corporate committee must report to the body corporate at such other times and in such manner as the body corporate decides by ordinary resolution.

(3) A body corporate committee report must include the following information:

(a) a description of the duties or powers that have been delegated to the body corporate committee during the period covered by the report; and

(b) an update on the fulfilment of those duties or the exercise of those powers by the committee.

So this will give you a guide as to what you can ask, and you can raise this at the AGM of course

Well there is a general invitation to attend the committee meeting before it opens I had hoped I could wait to hear my complaint discussed and resolved. Your answer says I cant. Is that correct?
If there was a general invitation to attend then yes, you are entitled to be there