New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I my question is a bit different - My son is on his

Customer Question
I my question is...

I my question is a bit different - My son is on his restricted lic and was driving in a narrow street as he came around the corner slide swiped a car and did very little damage to the other car - his car however wheel snapped - after going into shock - as the owner of car came firing all these thing my son gave his insurance - I saw the damage to his car which was very minimal - we did not go to my sons insurance as access is $900 so my son is happy to pay the damage but now was sent a bill from the mans insurance company wanting almost $900 we asked for itemized account after asking State for quotes - and there has been other work done that was not in accident - what can my son do - it seems a bit unfair Amanda -

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

The car he hit was new but we have photos of the damage not a dent except white paint on white paint - my sons can had a lot of damage as the pin snapped causing his wheel to go sideways

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only insurance company

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so I think thats all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
12/5/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

The insurance company can only claim for damage caused by the accident. They cannot claim for any work outside of what was actually caused, which I expect you know already. What you can do, would be to have a discussion with another panel beater/painter and ask what they think this should have cost, and describe the damage which you saw. Your son could make an offer based on that rather than the claim from State and see if they will accept it. If they won't accept this, then he could go to the disputes tribunal to resolve the claim, and they would likely discount this.

Let me know if you need more information