New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

What is the law in NZ where full siblings are trying to

Customer Question
What is the law...

What is the law in NZ where full siblings are trying to exclude half siblings all are born from the same mother. A will was written by full siblings father in 1972 for his children (5) and mother had 3 children prior. Mother has not passed away yet. Now in 2017 full siblings are trying to exclude 3 half siblings from mothers will. How does NZ law view this type of exclusion?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Auckland New Zealand.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Copy of deceased Fathers will 1972.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

5 children have prepared affidavits saying they had no proper involvement with half siblings which is not true. I am a full sibling. But I support half siblings as they are my mother's children. My father had a good relationship with them. They are trying to exclude them. I just need to know whether they have a leg to stand on??. Ps are you a new Zealand lawyer?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
12/5/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Chris The Lawyer
Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help with your question today
Normally half siblings have the same rights as full siblings but it does depend on the wording of your fathers will and your mothers will. Do you have a lawyer acting in the estates? Has any court action been started?