New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Grandfather left a will stating; his children to his would…

Customer Question
Grandfather left a will stating...
Grandfather left a will stating; his children to his would succeed to his land of 50acres in what is currently worth a significant amount of money. His second wife could live on the land until she remarried. She never married and lived on the land and paid for the rates for 50-60 years. The children of the first wife are now contending that in the will it stated his children and now the one particular grandchild is pursuing a case to have legal rights to the land. There are 2 executors both brothers they are also grandchildren but are contesting the will. However one brother has signed an agreement sent out by lawyers of the representative group of their wishes and intent. He did so without informing his brother the other executor.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
12/3/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

Can you please tell what you want to challenge from those facts? Is the case going to court? Has this happened after the second wife died? The executors need to agree and if they do not, then it may be necessary to replace them with someone neutral. That would need a court application also

Not yet, but the person that wants the land in recognition for his mother is pursuing an action under "'his children" in the will meaning his mother has rights to the land. Grand dad had 13 children My husband was asked to sign a document from their lawyers regarding - they can't sue the lawyers? How does one relinquish their responsibility as an executor? when does one's duty as an executor cease? My husband would like to sell the land and divide it among the 13 children, but he is weighed down by the history, connections between Grand dad and Nan. He believes grand dad wanted the land to go to Nan and their children and because she was still young, she may want to marry so he provided for her living arrangements in the event she did marry. We have more questions than answers, but thank you Chris just in the advice you have given it eased the burden, my husband wants to do

Please feel free to ask more or rate this when you are ready