New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I have 3 sons all carry my last name and their fathers name…

Customer Question
I have 3 sons...

I have 3 sons all carry my last name and their fathers name as a middle name, as he had decided not to legally accept them initially, however this has changed, am I able to change their names to drop mine, and legally carry his? without too much hassle?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Im in NZ am I on the wrong place?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No birth certs say father unknown as he wouldnt sign anything at the time, but thats the extent of it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Dont think so, I just want to know how to do it, cost and time frame if possible

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
11/30/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

If the father now consents to going on the birth certificate, then you can arrange with The Department of Internal Affairs, Birth Deaths and Marriages Registry to have the birth certificates amended and the names changed. These are done by statutory declarations and there is not a substantial cost.

Is there a way to do it without him knowing? as in a surprise for christmas? sounds wierd he is actively involved in their lives, a financial and emotional contributor, i just know he would love them to carry his name

If he is not on the birth certificate you can change the names without his consent and I have pasted the form above you so that you can complete this and do the change

Thank you so much, I hope its nice weather down there. Have a great night.

You're welcome. Thanks for allowing me to assist you. If you have further questions, let me know. If not, please rate me now so I can be paid.

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer