New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My house was empty 3 months prior to it getting sold. Then a…

Customer Question
My house was empty...

My house was empty 3 months prior to it getting sold. Then a father brought it for her daughter and she was living in it for 3 months then did the meth testing. It came up positive like someone had been cooking it in there. My parents had to pay to get the inside redone. I just had a baby so there is no way it was me. Now the people that brought the house are going around saying that we are cooks when they have no prof. I have lost my business because of it and my family aswel as my parents don’t talk to me. Can I get compensation for the roomers they have started and get my parents money back from redoing the house.

Lawyer's Assistant: We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money.

So you can’t give me advise then

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

New zealand

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I just want advice to see if it can be done

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope that’s it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
11/30/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today. Please give me a minute to read the question

It would be defamation to accuse someone of being a meth cook. The real issue would be gathering evidence of what was said, which I assumed would be partly verbal gossip but also possibly through social media such as Facebook. If you can get clear evidence that someone has claimed you were a meth cook, then you can sue them for defamation of character. Like all court cases there is some cost in doing so. You could sue in the District Court which would not be as expensive as the High Court, but you would need to consider whether the person who made the statement was able to pay damages. It would be pretty clear that if someone claimed you were a meth cook, then you could successfully sue them. But you would need to be ready to spend 8 to $10,000 at least in fees although you could recover about 2/3 if you win

I have the test raiting and it was gossip talk. Which my oldest daughters friends mother heard. I find it really hard now to even put food on the table for kids and no one will hire me. I don’t have $10,000 to try and sue them tho. They have damaged me as a person and in life

Do you live in a smaller town? Sometimes these sorts of gossip can be devastating. Do you think it would be possible to have some form of mediation with the principal gossip? That would be very much cheaper than suing

Mediation may help with your family too if they understand that this is gossip

Yip I live in nelson. Yeah do I found out about Mediation?

There are some great mediators in Nelson-the other parties need to agree to mediate of course. In a mediation, you could have a facilitated conversation about the suggestion that you used the house to cook meth. You could confront the people who made the accusation, and ask why they have blamed you, and even possibly get drug tested beforehand to show that you are not a user.

You can make contact with them and if they cannot help, they will know someone who could help

I can do that. If the other party declined then wat is the next step?

Sadly, if the other parties aren't willing to mediate, your next step might be to get a friendly local lawyer to send a letter telling them to cease and desist or be sued for defamation. That might help shut them down rather than needing to go to court