New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Our fixed term tenacny is due to expire January 5th.

Customer Question
Hi our fixed term...

Hi our fixed term tenacny is due to expire January 5th. Yesterday we received notice saying if we would like to renew the tenancy the rent will be incireasing by an extra $125 per week. and we need to let them know end of day Tuesday 28th - we received the letter yesterday. Is there a legal amount of time they need to give us to confirm whether we will renew or not?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

It is a very tidy house, and they have just replaced the roof.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Sorry not sure what you mean

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
11/26/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Chris The Lawyer
HI, I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help with your questions today
You have to give 21 days notice that you want to renew the tenancy before the fixed term expires. The landlord has to give notice of an increase but you also have the right to challenge any increase if this higher than market rental rates. That does lead to a delicate problem, because if you want to renew then the landlord is apparently saying to you, yes but at this higher figure. So if you say yes to the renewal but no to the increase the landlord may decline to renew. So perhaps do some research to see if this is out of line with local rent, and if so, tell the landlord you want to renew but make a counter offer and see if he will negotiate.