New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Does Copyright have a Local Novelty clause like a registered…

Does Copyright have a...

Does Copyright have a Local Novelty clause like a registered design?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have a registration record?

No its not registered.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/23/2017
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today.

Copyright law is based on the Copyright Act 1994.Copyright does not get registered but is acquired by operation of law, as the original author or creator, so it does not need registration and there is no concept of local novelty clause. You either are the owner or you need a license to duplicate the copyright work

Chris The Lawyer
We sell personalised Family Signs (IE The Smith Family Est 2017) on a wooden backing. Someone else also sell them and is claiming it was her idea and therefore her copyright but we have seen them sold well before she sold them online from the US shipping to NZ. My understanding is that we are producing Commissioned pieces so therefore the customer owns the copyright and she would not own the copyright as it is not hers to begin with.
Phone call session started
Gingham Girls
I have just had an interesting chat to an Intellectual Property Lawyer tonight - did you know that copyright does exist in NZ.?
All my designs are my original works and are subject to copyright.
Size doesn't matter if you are copying something, it is not how much you change it is what you change.
Just putting it out there for a Wednesday night ;) Happy hump day. Jo, xx