New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I paid for my ex and I to go on holiday and he has not paid…

Customer Question
Hi there. I paid...

Hi there. I paid for my ex and I to go on holiday and he has not paid me back for it ($4,100) I have a txt from him stating that he will pay me back including an extra $100 for interest. do i have any chance of legally getting the money back? Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Wellington NZ

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not yet, I was hoping he would pay it back without me needing to take this step

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I also paid 4 bills that were his to pay but i dont think i have anything in writing refering to them

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
11/23/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today.

Thank you

The next step might be to make a list of the costs, including holiday and his bills, and send him a text or email saying if he doesn't pay within seven days, you will file a claim against him in the Disputes Tribunal. And if he doesn't pay, then file a claim against him

what if he doesnt even reply to that message confirming that he needs to pay them? do i still have any grounds to go after the money?

I have included the link to the tribunal so you can make a claim online. If he doesn't reply to the message, then you can assume he isn't going to pay, and file a claim for the full amount.

Thank you very much

Thank you for the reply and for using this site. You may ask further questions or rate this answer when you are ready.