New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I just caused a traffic accident outside the entrance

Customer Question
driveway to my house. The...
I just caused a traffic accident outside the entrance driveway to my house. The other parties car was very old but damaged beyond repair (nobody was hurt). The car I was driving was not insured, so in a moment of madness I drove down my drive and brought back a different car that was insured. The police arrived and I filled in a statement accepting liability and told them the car rego and that I was insured.
I couldn't sleep worrying about this and contacted the police to change my statement and accept responsibility for the accident with the correct details. I didn't contact my insurance company or make any effort to make a claim. I also asked the police for the details of the other driver in order to make reparation.
The only contact I have with the police is via email and I have received a response to say another officer is dealing with this and my enquiry has been forwarded.
Am I in serious trouble, even though I didn't follow through with contacting my insurance?Many thanks
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Solicitor: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Solicitor: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

I'm sorry I just noticed your location is marked as New Zealand, are you in the US or New Zealand?

I am in New Zealand
I would prefer to do this via messaging rather than calling.
Are you comfortable answering questions about a situation in a different country?
Solicitor: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Okay your question was miscategorized into the US legal section. I'll put in a request for it to be transferred to the New Zealand law category so that the appropriate attorney can assist you. Good luck!

Thanks Nisha...if this was in the US would this be a big problem for me?
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi

I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington. I will be helping you with your questions today

It is likely that you will be charged with careless driving, which is a traffic offence where there will be a fine of around $500 plus court costs. You are very unlikely to lose your licence for that. The real issue for you will be whether the police also charge you for giving false particulars. Since you admitted this before it became an issue, they may just warn you and continue with the careless driving charge. I would suggest that after the admission, you have done evrything correctly to fix this and that will help you, but its not possible to predict what the police will do. The false particulars charge would likely be a fine also however

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer