New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My son reported his car stolen to police, he located it's…

Customer Question
my son reported his car...
my son reported his car stolen to police, he located it's whereabouts and thought the right way to do it is go report it to police. He was mucked about, given excuses,lied to and cop went to his house 1am till 3.30am, trying to manipulate the situation and tell son get car of his girlfriend, judge in court will look at it as 'favours,. son made complaint to IPCA 10nov 2017, never heard back from them until he/I emailed them ystaday, only to be told case closed. Cop told son gurl that stole car was hs girlfriend get her to pay for car. son said it his car they gt proof get his car back. do their job properly. we went online to see if car was reported stolen but it was not. Cop told son if he take it to court he get no where. Cop told son he took alert off coz son said so. son said he wouldn't report car stolen he wouldn't go searching with his dad until 5am for nothing, he won't do all what he has to have alert taken off. he just want his car back. Cop said he got car in yard, I rung MOT it was sold twice. what can son do about the police bullshit and way he handled the car? cop sed girl who stole car told him she was in a committed relationship with son..i txt cop ask the theif to name sons parents, sisters, brother.. she won't know any. coz she not his girlfriend.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
11/22/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today.

Was this car taken by the woman? What was her relationship to your son?

he met her once the second time is when she stole car.

Your son can go get the car from the current person in possession of it. He must also register a property security on the car. What is the car worth?

He is still the owner. Registration of the owner is not proof of ownership and he can get the car back. If someone bought the car they will need to sue the woman

he bought car for $450 I think it was his new hobby. to fix it etc

He could go to the Disputes Tribunal and sue the woman

ok but what about the cop? he was manipulating everything and instead of getting car back he lied, one min he said car in his yard. another cop said tow truck got it, we didn't know who to believe or what to do

Normally I would suggest the IPCA but they appear to have not looked at this closely. You could try them again now that you have more information about what happened

complaint authority said case closed. reason being son said so, but this is not true. what advice can you give on the whole situation? it's unfair justice. we went online police site check if car was reported ztolen..it was not. Cop lied from the start and said son not getting his car back so he gave it back to their who sold it twice. we don't no whose got it. any advice how to get it back plz?
gave it back to the theif

If you can find the car you can do get it from the person who has it. But you need to register on the Personal Securities Register first with your sons interest as the owner. Does the girl have the car now? Did she have some dispute with your son which is why she took the car?

no she was just a one night fling. but lied to police she sold the car for money to feed her habit.. friends told son. where does he go fling personal register? can police do what this cop did? can they cum son house 1am stay till 3.30am manipulating the course of justice just bcoz he's a cop?
for and do personal register. how much is it

That site explains about the securities register.

The problem is that if she is telling one story but your son says something else, then the police are reluctant to act. So I think sue the woman in the Disputes Tribunal and get a court judgment against her if you want

ok thank u very much for ur advice and help I appreciate it all.

Thank you for using this service. When you are ready you can accept the answer by rating the answers which I have given.

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer