New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Can you assist me please, and I am in "breach" of my parole…

Customer Question
Can you assist me...

Can you assist me please, my name is***** and I am in "breach" of my parole conditions, as I failed an Alcohol & Drug Test, because I took Methamphetamine once only, two days before the test (I have not used any drug or alcohol before or since that time). I was originally charged and sentenced on 02/11/16 and sentenced to Home Detention for 8 months, and have since been on Parole, living behind my shop. I have been totally "clean" and avoided taking drugs or alcohol since my original sentencing and after this latest experience, I have no intention of using any substance ever again. The original Home Detention sentence cost me a considerable amount of money, (Between 45 to 50 Thousand dollars), as I had to rent a flat to live in, as well as keeping the tenancy (rent, rates etc going at my shop) as I had to move out from living behind my shop, and as I could not operate my business, moving back into it has meant starting again financially. Therefore, I am also not in a position to employ a Lawyer to assist me this time. I am due to appear again in the Henderson Court this coming Monday 30/11/18 at 9am. My Post Detention sentence ends on 07/01/18. What do you think is the likely outcome of my scheduled appearance this coming Monday 30/11/17 ? I fear another absence of any length may destroy my business completely

Lawyer's Assistant: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?

Auckland, NZ

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not this time, as the cost for me is too much

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of right now, thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today.

If you explain to the judge the background which you have described above, and emphasise this was a one off lapse, I suspect the judge might just extend supervision for a period. It might be useful to get another drug test before you get sentenced just to show that you are now clean. The judge will probably want to get a further probation report next Monday, and put this off to the new year anyway for sentence. With your parole conditions ending early next year, I think the worst is possibly community work.