New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Do I need a lawyer to sign over a lease to a new tenant. I…

Customer Question
Do I need a...

Do I need a lawyer to sign over a lease to a new tenant . I sublet premises now and have sold my buisness to a family friend. Also is it true the new tenant pays the landlords lawyers fees for the lease to be drawn up ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Christchurch , New Zealand

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
11/21/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today.

It is standard practice that the tenant pays the legal fees. So I would suggest you get a lawyer to complete the assignment of lease, on the basis that the new tenant would pay the costs and the landlords costs. It would not be that expensive however.

Ok thank you very much

Thank you for the reply and for using this site. You may ask further questions or rate this answer when you are ready.