New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I got caught taking a $15 dollar item from a store in the…

Customer Question
Hi. I got...

Hi. I got caught taking a $15 dollar item from a store in the weekend. The police were called but were too busy to attend and the store let me go with a trespass notice and said they would be notifying the police. I have never been in trouble with the police before. What is the likelyhood of this being taken further by the police?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

This is in Auckland, New Zealand.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
11/20/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Chris The Lawyer

Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help you with your question today.

The most likely action by the police would be that they would give you a warning. It is possible that they could charge you with shoplifting and in that case you would most likely get the opportunity for diversion, which would avoid a court conviction and a criminal record.

But the police have many serious matters to deal with, and it is likely that no further action will be taken. But if the police want to discuss this with you, confessing early is the best way to do this and a warning most likely

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer