New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Auckland NZ. Have had a tenancy tribunal decision against a…

Hello Pearl Lawyer's Assistant:...

Hello Pearl

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Auckland NZ

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Have had a tenancy tribunal decision against a tenant whose matters were being managed by Public Trust in Whangarei. They were aware of the tribunal decision but had to apply through court to represent his estate as he since died. Now Public Trust inform that they are not representing him and I cannot get court to action a warrant to seize unless I provide the solicitor's name. I do not know who it is and public trust is not responding to my request.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have tried Publuic Trust through e-mails and phone messages. I also contacted the initial lawyer acting on the tenant's behalf with his financial matters and they suggest I get a lawyer. I have had $10k of damages and have had $2k awarded and it just seems to be more cost just to get a lawyer in order to inform court who the deceased tenant's lawyer could be.

11/20/2017
Chris The Lawyer
Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help with your question today
You need to find the lawyer acting in his estate. Often the funeral director who did his funeral will know as they will look to the lawyer to pay the funeral bill. You can apply hen lodge a claim with his estate. The real issue is whether he actually had any money but if he dies without assets then unfortunately you have no chance of payment
I am informed that he had a lot of money - I am just claiming what was ordered by the court. From what I am told he was a retired solicitor. I am still waiting on responses from various people (legal profession) who were representing him. Will keep in touch. Also trying to find out who the funeral services that may have been involved. many thanks

You can search the Funeral Notices for most papers online to check the name of the funeral director

Have e-mailed the rest home to see if they can provide me with name of funeral director. Many thanks

Thank you for using this service. When you are ready you can accept the answer by rating the answers which I have given.

No luck so far as informed that he passed away at the hospital and matters were handled by sister. Still no response from Public Trust despite phone messages and e-mails. Many thanks

Perhaps send the order to his sister and ask her to pass this on to whoever is handling the estate

Chris The Lawyer