New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Can a owners home be deemed separate property by a

Customer Question
Hi, can a owners...

Hi, can a owners home be deemed separate property by a judge/court .e.g prior to signing a will or for the purpose of creating an agreement between two partiespeople seem to except they have to give away half their life savings to a person who has never put in anything in nz

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

'leamington' in the town of cambridge

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No nothing as yet,my mother is having something drawn up tomorrow as part of her will, in a hurry as she is soon to have her 2nd hip replacement and is concerned should something go wrong,so is rushing things

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Chris The Lawyer
Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help with your question today
The only way to record property as separate property for purposes of the Property Relationships Act is to have both parties each get separate advice from a lawyer and sign a contracting out agreement. That would protect her but would need both parties to see their own lawyers, which may take some time