New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My Mother just passed away and my sister was the only

Customer Question
Hi. My Mother just passed...
Hi. My Mother just passed away and my sister was the only beneficiary on her life insurance which she changed to herself a few years back. She claims the insurance was only $3000 which seems weird considering how many years Mum’s paid for it (fixed premiums). Is there any way to find out if this is truthful. Mother died natural causes but she has been ill for years (stroke a few years ago). We suspect a payout at some stage but sister wont say. Premiums have been coming out of Mother/father’s joint account but even he was removed as beneficiary. Entire family believe 3k is a joke and father had to put in 10k of his own money for the funeral costs because 3k was nothing. Insurance company cannot disclose anything to me, only beneficiary. What can I do. Christchurch NZ.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: New Zealand Law
11/19/2017
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Chris The Lawyer
Hi
I am a New Zealand lawyer based in Wellington and will help with your question today
Hi Chris. Please go ahead. Looking forward to your help. Thanks in advance.
The first issue is whether your mother was able to understand the nomination of your sister as the sole beneficiary. There could be what is called undue influence. You should challenge your sister to prove that this was done properly or provide proper evidence of the real
Insurance figure. If she refuses then you may need to consider suing her so that she is ordered to provide the information.
If she has lied you could likely require her to repay
Sorry for delayed responses as I’m a full time mum and full time employee.Mother can’t speak English at all that includes reading and writing. Unsure when exactly the change was made so I can’t say whether it was when mother was sick.Is there any other way of finding out? I thought the bank would have the original Insurance amount on file. Can IFSO help at all or it’s pointless to go to them? I can sue but I don’t want to look like a fool if it turns out it was in fact only 3k. I don’t want money for me, just clarification for the sake of father who’s spent so much already & they’re asking for mother’s last amount left in her bank account as well which should be for him. They’re not trustworthy to say the least.Any other alternatives apart from suing? Can father ask the insurance company since it was his joint account with mother that paid for the insurance?
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Your father could ask about this so I suggest see if he can find out the details. Have you asked the insurance company directly? If you explain why you are asking they tell you.
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer